Sunday, November 14, 2010

Right Answer Please

My daughter returned from a long, fun weekend at Grandma's. One of the first things she said to me is, "My throat hurts." Great, because she's still on antibiotics (third set) for ear and sinus infections that have been around since at least September. She's coughing a lot more and harder too.

And "great" because her baby brother has a sore throat. In fact, they're growing a culture to check for strep as I type. I took him in for pink eye (as I wasn't sure if they do antibiotic drops in someone under one, everything I read gave contradictory answers). I learned that he has an ear infection and a very red throat. I guess it doesn't surprise me looking back as he has been fighting a cold on and off since his baptism in September, and his sleep and eating has been weird the last few days.

Then there's my middle child. He's snotty, has been ever since he got off his second round of super-antibiotics for a weird super-bug, but they assume this "cold" is something different since there isn't any fevers or other stuff. But his chest is a little raspy and he's coughing more, sounding junky more. They have given him the label of asthma because when Grady gets sick, it ultimately leads to wheezing (coughing) and rattling meaning congested or contstricted airways. It's not induced by exercise, basically having a cold or respiratory illness brings it about in most cases with him.

So that seems to be the common denominator. A cold.

My oldest has been tested for allergies, and we are going with the notion that our middle one has them, too. Those things can irritate them and get them started or basically make conditions favorable for cultivating a bug really well.

There are over 200 viruses that can cause a common cold. And they thrive in daycares and schools - where my kids are! Those colds cause bigger problems in my kids. Like ear infections. My daughter had a few as a baby, and has had a few a year since then - this year being the worst.

Ear infections are common in infants and children, in part because the eustachian tubes become easily clogged. If the eustachian tube becomes blocked, fluid can build up. When this happens, germs such as bacteria and viruses can multiply and cause an infection.


Now the question is - what to do about it. I've read that in 80% of cases an ear infection will clear up on its own in 7-10 days. Not wanting to overuse antibiotics, I've waited it out with my kids many times...but it's never seemed to work. One way or another, we always seem to end up on them.

I just never know if it's right. I mean, you're supposed to trust the medical professionals, but it sure seems like a lot of meds. It feels like a catch 22 all the time.

I don't want to destroy their own ability to fight off bugs, but if they can't shake them...
And if I could get rid of all the bugs we're all exposed too all day long, I would - but there is no such thing, no bubble to put them in.

So I continue to ponder the right answer.
It will mean a call to the pediatrician in the morning to second guess the course the doctor today (Sunday) put us on.

But, with 3 sets of tubes for the middle child and a set likely coming for my eldest...we may just be on an inevitable path here with our baby.

I just wish that I didn't feel like no answer is right.
Sometimes doing your best as a parent just doesn't feel like enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment