Saturday, November 6, 2010

Potty Progress

I think it's funny how elated potty-training progress makes me.
I'm pretty sure as a young girl, even when cheering on my little brothers, I never thought to myself that I'd find deep joy in something likes this.

Potty training my little man with Down syndrome has been an intereseting trip so far. It's competely up to him, as he's demonstrated over and over.

As of this week, I've sung silly made-up songs with him to "trick" him into giving up the potty and tonight it even worked to get #2 out!

For example: "Tinkle, tinkle in the potty, poo-poo and pee-pee in the potty..." (sung to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star")


It isn't the first time, but it is feeling (this week at least) that it's getting a little more consistent again.

And we even had one time this week when he woke up in the morning completely dry and went right away on the potty when we set him there.

I know that when he's done being stubborn about the whole thing, we'll have this hurdle checked off the list.
"In his own time..." I've heard and experienced that phrase so much since July 2007.

I wonder what life will be like when I'm not focused on "owie butt" prevention, diaper levels at home (school, daycare, etc.), who's gone which number a healthy amount of times per day, and timing, timing, timing.

Oh, well. I'll continue to delight, along with my little man, in the little things.
Even if they come in wet or stinky forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment