Sunday, September 5, 2010

Changer of the Toilet Paper Roll

For years now I've wondered if one of my main purposes in life is to be the Toilet Paper Roll Changer.
I grew up sharing a bathroom with three boys.
I changed the toilet paper roll most often of us all while there.

I went to college and had many roommates. The new roll often conveniently found its way to the floor or on the back of the toilet, but often not on the roll.

I now live in a house with a family who doesn't change the roll either. I can't really blame Kaitlynn, because she's five and those spring things can be tricky. However, I am quite certain that my husband could figure it out. I just went to the bathroom and there was the fresh roll, sitting atop a stack of magazines...just below where the toilet paper holder is placed nicely in the wall.

And at work...I am the one who, at least once a week, will change the toilet paper roll in at least one stall on 2nd floor. I'm not going to lie, the holders in those bathrooms are a bit tricky and it even took me a while to figure them out, but I've now become a pro because I'm not sure anyone else on my floor knows how to do it.

I believe there are two kinds of people on this earth. The kind who take charge, see a job that needs to be done, a way to make things easier and more organized for others, and they go right ahead and put that toilet paper on its holder. After all, that holder has a purpose - it was created solely to hold those rolls. If we don't allow the holder have the rolls, what a sad and sorry existence it has.

And there are the people who don't. They'll just let the roll sit on the cupboard, the floor, the back of the toilet, because it's easier at the time, or whatever the case may be on that day.

Some days, I really wish I could throw caution to the wind and just let that fresh, big roll of toilet paper sit in a spot not designated for it. Sometimes I wish I could just let go and rely on someone else to get that roll put into place.

And maybe I'm speaking metaphorically. Wouldn't we all like someone to take care of us once in a while, rather than perpetually be the one who everyone counts on to get the job done?

I sometimes think I would like that. But when the opportunity arises, and someone offers to do something for me, I totally blank. I have no idea what to ask for. I cringe at the thought of someone helping me out as I may appear lazy, incapable or some other despicable word.

And if someone did show up right now, wanting to help, I don't think there's a single thing I could think of that I'd feel comfortable asking them to do.

I guess, of course, they could change the next roll. :)

2 comments:

  1. Jamie,
    You seriously need to write a book! I love reading your entries! What talent you have! Hang in there, my friend! By the way, I am the toilet paper roll changer in my house too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Mandi's message...I too am the changer and if it does get changed the paper isn't going the right direction anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete