Sunday, September 26, 2010

Buddy WHAT?!?!?!! Buddy WALK!!!!!!

We made it through another Buddy Walk.
I didn't know what a Buddy Walk was, like most people who may read this, until Grady was born.

Each year for the past 4 years that we've participated, the Buddy Walk has been difficult. Each year it's difficult for different reasons. This year was hard because it was going to be my Dad's first time of joining us for the Walk. He was actually looking forward to finding out what it was all about. This fact alone made the Buddy Walk tough on all of us.

The other thing that is difficult is just the feeling you get from your "team" and everyone who chooses to show up at the capitol that morning. When I say difficult, I mean the lump-in-your-throat-because-you're-so-in-awe-and-so-blessed-and-grateful difficult.

I'm in awe of the individuals with Down syndrome. Totally inspired by their love of life and love for everyone around them. Awed by their talents and abilities, and by the amazing circle of friends and family who support them (and really all of us). And I'm moved beyond words by those who join Grady's team.

I have a coworker and friend who is a repeat walker who came, and brought her boyfriend, on HER birthday. We have other friends who have walked every lap with us over the past 4 years. I have my family and in-law family who donate, walk, and support us all year. I have extended family like aunts and cousins, and this year even my dad's mom and brother, who travel just to be a part of this event. I have other past and present coworkers, friends of mine and my husband's...and they bring friends and family to join in!, and just so many people who I love so very dearly. All of this is completely overwhelming.

I learned something this year. It never occured to me that when I say "We're walking to promote awareness for the abilities of people with Down syndrome" - that others may not really get that. They don't live it like I do. But this year a very special group of people brought this to my attention inadvertantly.

This special group of ladies are some of my mom's good friends from my hometown. You just have to love, love, love being from a small town. Sure, these five ladies are my mom's friends...but they're so much more than that...they are
- my 5th grade basketball coach
- the reason I learned to ski
- the "party" location (for both my wedding shower and a Scentsy party!)
- the reason why I knew I couldn't be a teacher or lifeguard (I helped her with her daycare!)
- my confirmation sponsor
And I babysat for three of the five! These ladies are obviously so much more than what I've stated above to me and my family...as are so many of the people of my hometown.

These ladies got up at the crack of dawn (or probably before) and drove here (3 hours) to be part of this event. They just wanted to support us. And so they did. And I am so eternally grateful to each of them, as I am to every single person who joins us each year.

They really wanted to know about Down syndrome, understand the event, and they asked my Mom questions about it. I LOVE that. If you have a question, ASK IT. The best way for Grady and those like him to gain understanding and acceptance is for all the unknowns and misconceptions to be eradicated.

I learned that I have to do a better job explaining The Buddy Walk...but I don't think I'll ever be able to do it justice. It really is an impressive thing, that in its own right is quite...magical. It's one of those things that can make you laugh and cry in the same instant.

And the people who choose to spend their time taking part...THANK YOU. Thank you for being there. Thank you for being a part of our world. Thank you for the knowledge and experience you gain each time and spread with you as you go throughout your life.

If Grady's designer genes had never entered our world, we may not have known any of this - along with our friends and family. I'm so glad we can share this with them, and feel so blessed that they open themselves up to learning, accepting, loving, and supporting - no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment