Thursday, March 25, 2010

More Than Just "Services"

I first became aware of the world of Early Intervention services when I was in my early twenties as an education reporter for the local NBC affiliate. I learned much about Early Intervention and and the Early Childhood Education Program through our school district. And even though it was my job to learn about these things to tell a good story that helped our viewers understand our community and world a little better, I never could've grasped it all as well as I do now - on the "other side"with a child with special needs. Once again my different "lives" collide and all of that education I received then has come full circle.

I recently wrote this letter to Michelle,OT, and Carrie, Speech/Language, who work with our family through Early Intervention, and have since Grady was just weeks old. Sometimes those early days are nothing more than a fog of a memory, and other days I remember so well the feelings of being completely overwhelmed by it all. And even if Early Intervention was sometimes part of the overwhelming sensation, I am so very thankful it has been part of our lives, and even one step further - that these specific people have been part of our lives.

Letter:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the work you do. Not only to help us figure out how to help Grady and function more effectively as a family unit where special needs are concerned…but for the assistance in advocating for us as well.


You both know how bothered I was by Grady being the only one in his class who didn’t get a choice in the cereal he got to eat a few weeks back. I felt like I should say something, but just left the center in tears instead, with the knowledge that we are going to run into this scenario in many different formats for the rest of our lives. I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing when advocating is most appropriate, and when I should just let my over-emotional self ponder the situation and realize that I can’t fix everything.

Anyway, what I’m trying to get at is that this morning the cereal was in the hall (we were running a bit late). Amy was out there too and as I got Grady’s coat off she asked him if he wanted cereal. He nodded his head, “yes.” I turned to hang up his coat with plans to lift him up to look at the cereal so he could choose which one he wanted.

When I turned back around, Amy was already doing that…asking him which one he wanted. He smiled at them all. I named Kix, Cheerios - didn’t get any further and he emphatically pointed to the Cheerios. She said, “Okay! Cheerios it is. Go in and I’ll bring some to you.” He was so satisfied with himself that he just proudly marched himself over to the table and sat down.

I am 100% certain that this wouldn’t have happened without your gentle encouragement with the staff during your visits there. To have them acknowledge his right and ability to choose was elation for me, but seeing what it did for Grady was some kind of wonderful I couldn’t have anticipated.

Thanks again. What you do makes a HUGE difference in this world.

Michelle,Carrie, and all who dedicate your professional lives (and very much personal, too) to helping us all in a very important and special way, you have my utmost respect and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment